Thursday, October 28, 2010

Yay for Progress!

Shari Lynne: So, I went back to MI this past week to volunteer with Michigan Disability Rights Coalition (MDRC) in a leadership program they have. If you don't know what MDRC is, just trust me when I say, it's the most awesome disability rights organization in all of MI! Anyway, I got to spend a few more days with my dad after that, which was not particularly exciting, but it was good. I haven't seen him or anyone connected with him since our engagement, so it was fun to show off my ring and gossip about other stuff. My dad failed to mention until driving me back to the house that my "step-"brother, James and his wife, Twilia are expecting their first child. So, I was annoyed enough (because I tend to be the last to learn anything regarding family news) to smack him in the arm a couple times for not telling me after he found out. So, yay, I'm gonna be an aunt, and I don't have to be the first to make my daddy a grandpa! For the record, James never knew we were engaged until he saw me this weekend because well, communication sucks in our family, I guess, and he and Twilia do not have a facebook account. Related to this not-knowing-what-the-heck-is-going-on-unless-it's-announced-on-facebook problem, I had no idea that my dad and step-mom are already saving money to help us have a real wedding. YAY! This means, we don't have to go to city hall and elope, though my dad would prefer that. We get to have the most awesome wedding of the year...at a reasonable price! Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! Now that we don't have to rely on ONLY our pathetic incomes to have a wedding, we can finally start planning something. So, we started putting a guest list and music list together. Once we figure out how many people we want there, we can find a place to have a ceremony/reception. One thing I can tell you is that it is not going to be your average wedding ceremony. It will definitely be very personalized to who we are as a couple. Not religious but definitely spiritual in nature.

Sean: I'm agnostic and I don't have any set idea of how it's going to go or how it needs to go. I do know that it won't be your average wedding in the sense that, it will be just two set sides, the brides side and the groom's side, as we have so many friends in common. We will have many crips there, family, extended family, hopefully many ADAPTers. Right now, we're making a list of who we want there, and it's annoying trying to figure out how many people we can have there.

Don't get us wrong, we are still going to try to save what we can, contribute what we can, but we are definitely grateful to have some of the weight lifted off of us and have some resources out there.

Sean: I'm still working on my thesis and we're both still trying to find a job.

Shari Lynne: It's a cut-throat world out there in the job-search frontier. I am a few credits short of a BA (and I WILL go back as soon as Sean finishes his Master's), but I have all this work/volunteer experience. Sean has a BA but not the kind of experience that I do. We wish there was a way we could splice each other together and then clone it so that at least one of us could get a job! Oh, well...

Sean: On the wedding plans again, last night, I had to pry Shari Lynne away from the computer because she was starting to stress out way too much over the guest list, of all things. I told her that it didn't need to be done in one day, we have plenty of time. Besides, we know who we definitely DO and definitely DO NOT want there. The point is, we've started somewhere. Shari Lynne's computer's still messed up, so it's not so easy for us to go through her iTunes list right now, so last night, we went through mine--

Shari Lynne: --which isn't particularly diverse...

Sean: Oh, come on, don't be that harsh!
I guess we're having the biggest problem finding a song I can dance with my mom to, albeit briefly. We need to get her opinion on it, of course. Perhaps she has an idea what she'd like to dance to at the wedding. Right now, I have "Time After Time," the Eva Cassidy version in mind. It's a beautiful song, the cover of it, I love it. I like the original (Cyndi Lauper), but the Eva Cassidy version is so good. It's a damn good song!

Shari Lynne: I figured out ages ago, my dad and I have to dance to "What a Wonderful World" by Sam Cook. It's one of the songs I first heard while watching the movie, "Witness" with my dad and then a few times listening to Oldies on 104.3 FM (Detroit) while on road trips (with Dad driving, of course). Besides, if you know me, and you listen to the words, it totally applies.

Sean: I played a couple of songs to get a laugh out of her. I told her to imagine walking down the aisle to Parliament's "She's a Bad Mamma Jamma" while I walk down the aisle to Afroman's "Because I Got High." Hehehe. How unique would that be?

Shari Lynne: I can just see my dad shaking his head and wishing he could hide if he heard the Afroman song. I'm starting to reconsider the Bad Mamma Jamma-thing just because he's got me listening to it now, and it would definitely be more fun than some of the more somber possibilities. Right now, I'm pretty sure I'll walk down the aisle to "In the Morning Light" by Yanni...Yes, Yanni... it's really pretty! Sorry, Denita, I totally stole your idea, but you can share, right?!

Sean: We have some totally awesome ideas for a theme, but that is under wraps for now. It's between us and our unofficial wedding planner. We're really excited about it, though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment